Thursday, November 15, 2012

November 15 in African History

Today is my birthday, so in order to celebrate I will keep this post short.

Today in African History! Sometime in the 80s, I was born! (my students read this ;) )


In 1902, Gennaro Rubino, Italian anarchist, attempts to assasinate King Leopold II of Belgium.

What does this have to do with Africa?

Just that King Leopold II of Belgium OWNED THE CONGO. He never visited his personal colony, but he made a ton of money out of the blood of the natives. Rubber was booming and rubber trees were harvested by the slaves of the state. Most famously, the soldiers of the Force Publique were given boxes of bullets and required to bring back as many right hands as they had bullets. No wasting bullets on anything but the natives. Estimates say as many as 10 million Africans died during his reign of terror.

one of the most iconic pictures of the time
Random Kate Thoughts: Someday, I will write a book about Leopold II. His reign in what is now the Democratic Republic of the Congo boggles my mind in so many ways, it's hard to express. It is an untold horror of Africa and the story must be told. Hopefully, I can do it. Watch this space.

p.s. for more info, watch "White King, Red Rubber, Black Death." (here)

No comments:

Post a Comment