Thursday, November 22, 2012

Guest Post: Marrakesh Voted Best African Destination

Guest Post by Khaoula, student from Morocco:

Obligatory reminder of the location of Morocco
The “red city" of Morocco, so called because of its red clay, Marrakesh was voted Best African Destination of the Year 2012 by the 19th World Travel Awards, an award chosen by travel agents around the world. 
www.moroccansightseeing.com
Marrakesh is the first Moroccan city to win this title that several other attractive African cities and regions competed for, such as Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg in South Africa, Luxor in Egypt, Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania, and Victoria Falls in Zambia. Marrakesh was also selected as the sixth best destination in the world in 2012 by Trip Advisor, a leading review website used by travellers from around the world.
http://broadband.usamuslimworld.com/files/2011/08/marrakech2.jpg
Marrakesh, oasis city of Morocco, attracts tourists from Morocco and around the world with its charm. Historically, it has been the capital of Morocco twice and has many monuments that speak of the achievements of Yusuf Ibn Tachafin, its founder in 1062, such as Koutoubia Mosque, Djemaa El Fna Square and Menara Gardens.
Holding such a title is a great honor of Marrakshi and Moroccans in general, but a lot of work has to be done to accommodate more tourists and to develop the infrastructure of the city and its surroundings.
Marrakesh tour bus, http://usamuslimworld.com
Random Khaoula Thoughts: As a Marrakshi, I felt proud to hear such news, but I wondered what the future holds. The Moroccan government and especially the Ministry of Tourism are probably celebrating this and expecting more tourists to visit Morocco, but are they really aware of the implications this will create? Or rather: Are they ready to take action to solve the many internal problems before inviting outsiders to join?  When our leaders talk about shortage of water, they forget that most of the consumption goes to the hotels and their golf courses. When they complain about social moral values dropping, they ignore the growth of sexual tourism and its economic and social impacts. 
I have always wondered how the money coming from tourism in my city disappears, and why I should respect a foreigner more than my fellow Moroccan. Aren’t we all human? Why should I accept being given less priority, being treated like a sheep that has to follow without question, while foreign tourists are treated like kings and queens? The Moroccan authorities aim to develop the nation using the wrong means. Moroccans won't have the dignity they deserve without using the revenues of tourism to improve public service and provide basic needs, starting with health care, roads, and transportation. There is no valid reason for a normal citizen to encourage tourism and commend the strategies put in place by the tourism ministry. 
I am not saying that I don’t want tourists or that I must see immediate change from the Moroccan authorities.  I, like most Marrakshis, welcome thousands of tourists every day. I feel happy to share my culture, to see people from all over the world coming to visit my country, eat my food and learn a few Arabic words. It makes my day to hear that people enjoy being around Marrakesh, going sightseeing or traveling to its suburbs. I am just raising questions and asking that the Moroccan government use this new boom in tourism for the betterment of its people.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with this post!. This place is really interesting and I found out that it has a nice ambiance. I loved reading different articles about the best destination spot because it helps me to gain my knowledge when it comes to the beautiful places. Thank you for sharing this.


    Vacation Location

    ReplyDelete