Saturday, October 13, 2012

Women Allowed to Inherit In Botswana

Many African societies stop women from inheriting property, but as of this week, Botswana is no longer one of them.


In a hilarious midwifery-related quote, the judge who made the ruling said: ""It seems to me that the time has now arisen for the justices of this court to assume the role of the judicial midwife and assist in the birth of a new world struggling to be born." Five sisters, all over the age of 65, had been living in a home that their nephew claimed was his. In this ruling, the sisters were allowed to inherit the house, overturning the nephew's right to it and stopping his attempt to evict them.

Random Kate Thoughts: Sometimes I forget how behind some African societies are in the realm of women's rights. And though I hate the "civilization is a timeline" theory that makes Africa seem "behind," I am a feminist and my belief that women and men should have equal rights usually overrules my tolerance for cultures different from my own. I am very happy that women in Botswana are now allowed to inherit property. It has been a long time coming and hopefully the women of Botswana will continue their fight for equality in other realms of their society.

No comments:

Post a Comment