Monday, May 20, 2013

GP: Egypt Court Overturns Sacking

Guest Post by Hazem from Egypt

Egypt Court Overturns Morsi Sacking of Top Prosecutor

President Morsi of Egypt sacked a top prosecutor, but a court has now overturned that action. This decisions calls for as much jubilation as it does for concern. On one hand, it takes away significant credibility from the notion that Morsi is the absolute dictator of the country, but on the other hand, it raises fears as to who exactly holds power in the Egyptian government. Egyptians have suffered for too long from power vacuums and internal political struggle and therefore I can't help but feel nervous over another one in Morsi's regime. 

President Morsi
A few months back, I remember riding in the car with my dad as we listened to the radio and together heard that Morsi had illegitimately removed a prosecutor stirring trouble for the Brotherhood. I remember my father sighing heavily and muttering "This is the beginning."

Though I am not around him right now, I am sure he is as confused as I am. This judicial battle between the protection of the Brotherhood and the reservation of the rights promised by the 2011 revolution for now is putting the Egyptian people on edge as we wait to see what it could mean for the future politically. Will Morsi accept the legal rights of the court and their overturning of his word or will he follow in the footsteps of his predecessor and crush our hopes for an authoritarian free-future? I'm hoping for the former but for now I am actually feeling very optimistic about the court's decision. There is finally someone with some power firmly standing up to the Brotherhood and actually stopping them.

No comments:

Post a Comment